|Costly damage from Macclenny-area house fires|
|The Press - News|
|Written by Joel Addington|
|Thursday, 14 June 2012 15:59|
Two electrical fires in the Macclenny area recently left one dwelling a total loss and another with substantial damage.
Shorts reportedly sparked fires in the attics of both residences, one on Azalea Drive in north Macclenny on June 11; the other on CR 23A just outside the city limits on June 5.
Nobody was injured in either incident, but the fire at Randall Johns’ address, 11741 N. CR 23A, caused the most damage.
Mr. Johns, a resident there for two decades, said he was able to rescue photos and some antique furniture before firefighters began working inside the mobile home, but not much else.
Two sons and his fiance also lived there.
The first of 24 firefighters to arrive at the structure found smoke spewing from the eaves and flames in the attic area, according to a report from the City of Macclenny fire department.
For nearly two hours they used about 1000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire from inside the home, the report shows. The property is owned by Mr. Johns’ father, Auzzie Johns.
The fire started about 6:45 pm due to a short in a bathroom ceiling fan and traveled through the attic. The value of the dwelling, declared a total loss, was estimated at $45,000.
Damage to the contents of the home was estimated at $20,000.
Six days later 17 firefighters were dispatched to 453 Azalea Dr. about 4:40 pm to reports of flames and smoke showing at the rear roof.
The home’s tenant, Angie Reeves, said she and hear family heard several pops before the lights began to flicker and smoke was visible from outside the roughly 1400-square-foot brick home.
The property is owned by David Davis.
Mrs. Reeves, her husband and two children had just returned from St. Augustine when the fire occurred, she said.
They removed several drawers of clothes, two cats, a flat screen TV, important documents and photos from the residence before emergency responders arrived.
“We tried to grab everything we could before they stopped us,” she said.
According to the city fire department’s account of the incident, a short in the wiring of an air conditioning unit connected to the house ignited the fire.
After about two hours and 850 gallons of water, the fire was brought under control. The home had heavy water and fire damage, the report shows and the loss was estimated at $8500.
“I’m just glad no one was hurt,” said Mrs. Reeves shortly after firefighters arrived, adding that her goldfish remained inside the structure.
Personnel from the city and county fire departments responded to both house fires, as did county Emergency Medical Services units.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 14 June 2012 16:02|